Adult education

Thinking of studying as an adult? You can apply to take free upper secondary courses if you are 25 years old or more, have completed primary and lower secondary education or the equivalent, but have not finished upper secondary school.

This right applies both to studies leading to university entrance certification and to vocational qualifications. The latter can include craft or journeyman’s certificates (fagbrev and svennebrev).

Courses are provided at the upper secondary schools or through adult education associations. The entitlement to adult education means you have the right to studies which can lead to university entrance certification or a vocational qualification.

How to apply

Applying for adult education has no deadline. This means you can apply throughout the year. You apply to take upper secondary courses for adults and an assessment of overall qualifications via website (in Norwegian only).

Til toppen